DIY Project

A few weekends ago, my sis and I decided to try a DIY project.  We had seen a girl on youtube create this ombre style crew neck sweatshirt and thought we'd give it a shot.  We each made one and both of them turned out excellent.  I thought I'd feature my sister's on the blog because I think hers turned out a bit better than mine.  

Here's what you will need:

1) White Crew Neck Sweatshirt - we got ours from Walmart for $10.  You don't have to use white either, you really could use any light color.
2) Iron-On Studs - we got ours from Michaels Craft Store
3) Tie Dye Fabric Paint - we got ours from Michaels Craft Store.  We chose the color purple but you could use any color - and let me tell you, they had every color under the sun available.

Steps:

Begin by ironing on the studs to the collar of your shirt.  Just follow the instructions on the packaging for best results - it was super easy.  You could also add studs to different places on the shirt.  We couldn't decided if we wanted to add studs around the cuffs of the shirt  but decided on just the collar.


Next, you are going to make the dye.  We just did this in my kitchen sink.  We started with just using half the package of dye because to help create the ombre look, you will later add the rest of the dye to help create the darker color.  Again, follow the instructions on the packaging of the dye.  Dip your sweatshirt into the dye about half way up the shirt.  Hold in the dye until you feel you have your desired shade.


Once you've finished your first dye job, add the rest of the dye.  Dip your shirt into the dye about half way down from where you original dipped your shirt in the first time (it'll probably be about 3/4 down shirt).  Hold in the dye until you have created your desired color contrast.


Finished product:


Finished product styled:



Didn't it turn out cute....and it probably helps that my sis is the cutest and has the best style!  

The nice thing about this DIY project, is that there is no right or wrong way to do this.  For example, we dropped one of the cuffs of my sweatshirt into the dye and at first I was like "it's ruined" but then we decided to dye the other cuff and just have dyed cuffs and it actually turned out super cute!  Feel free to add your own uniquness to this project - like I said before, you could place the studs in another spot on the shirt or use a different colored dye.

Let me know if any of you decide to do this project and how yours turned out.  I'd love to see pics!

Happy "DIYing"! :)

Megs

No comments:

Post a Comment